Saturday, May 14, 2011

New Meetup Gaming Group in Town!

I have to admit it - I'm a huge Nerd at heart. My husband and I got married in Star Wars Galaxies, and also had a mock wedding at the 40th annual Star Trek Convention in Las Vegas - in our red shirts, no less. So when I found out there was a new Gaming Meetup Group in town, I jumped at the chance to go.

With this being a college town, it can be difficult to find people to hang out with. At least it can be difficult when you've spent all of your time studying and getting a degree and basically had no life for a while. But I knew this was going to be a good group when I was greeted with a coat of arms outside the front door.

Last night was board game night (there is a seperate D&D night which I have not attended). The group split in two. One group played Pandemic, a cooperative game. The rest of us played 7 Wonders, the object of which was to end the game with the most victory points, beating out all of the other players. I barely squeaked out on top with 59 points, while the next person had 52 (luckily both my military and another player's had beat him for a total of -5 points). The game is very interesting and easy to follow.

The next game we played was Word on the Street. This game combined a timer, thinking of a word based on a category on a card, and spelling it correctly while moving tiles on a gameboard. The fun part was trying to distract the other team by yelling random suggestions. It got really difficult to concentrate at the end as everyone kept screaming, "Catfish!" Of course, when the category was "name of a famous dog," I believe my impression of Snoop was pretty spot-on.

I'm looking forward to our next gaming night!

No comments:

Post a Comment